Hisashi Ouchi was a technician by profession. He used to work at a nuclear facility under JCO, (the Japanese Nuclear Fuel Conversion Company), popularly known as Tokaimura. During the nuclear accident in Tokaimura, he becomes one of the fatalities that was exposed to the radiation, more than any human had ever. He was filled with the pain everywhere in his body. Despite his wishes, he was kept alive for 83 days under observation.
image source: rebelcircus

It is an incident of September 30, 1999, when he along with the two colleagues was adding the solution of aqueous uranyl nitrate to a precipitation tank to make a batch of fuel for an experimental reactor. After the seventh bucket, the tank goes on reaching the self to form an anuclear fission chain reaction. Thus it releases a high amount of neutron and gamma radiation. At this time, Hisashi Ouchi was near to the tank, while others are little far away from the tank. Although this accident happened the second time in the Tokaimura. The first Tokaimura nuclear accidents were 11 March 1997. This is such a critical accident that happened in the JCO plant.

Ouchi was facing this reacting almost for 20 hours. After this accident, Ouchi immediately started to face the problem of breathing, nausea, and pain. He lost consciousness after vomiting. His skin was covered in burns and his internal organs were too damaged. All his body was exposed to the dense beams of radiation. After facing such a massive explosion reaction Ouchi was alive and talked a little with his surgeon, hence they have some hope to save him. But soon after that, his skin started to fall off. Although his flesh was also started to deteriorate. Despite all these, he was kept alive for 83 days in pain.

image source: interez

After he had 3 heart stopped within 49 minutes, he was resuscitated on the 59th day. Although Ouchi was wishing to end up his life, still he was monitored by the doctors and staff 24 hours a day. Unfortunately, at the age of 35, Ouchi was exposed to the 17 sieverts of radiation, although the exposure to 8 sieverts is fatal for a human.

image source: facts

Later he was transferred to the University of Tokyo Hospital, although Ouchi was saying that he can’t take it anymore till his consciousness. But the doctor continued with the treatment and trying to resuscitate him. But this leads to a painful and slow death process for the Ouchi. After 83 days of the accident, and a lot of struggle and pain that Ouchifaces, on 21 December 1999 he died of multiple organ failure.

image source: documentingreality

Although a book has been written titled “A Slow Death: 83 Days of Radiation Sickness”, to describe the problem faces by the Ouchi and all the efforts made by the doctors to save him. Many people believe that it was cruel to keep him alive in such a painful situation, while some not. You may give your suggestion in the comment.


Facebook Conversations

Disqus Conversations